Social Login Analytics
You can access a variety of out-of-the-box activity reports for Social Login through the Janrain Dashboard. These reports enable you to examine the following user activities:
- Social sign-in
- New sign-in (registration)
These reports help you visualize:
- Activities by the hour, day, week, or month
- Activities by identity provider, platform, domain, and device type
- Averages and deltas
If you are also using the Registration solution, additional analytics are available through Customer Insights.
The Analytics Overview page shows recent changes in activity metrics.
- The navigational breadcrumb allows customers to easily return to the property list (Home) or the property overview page (property name).
- The Domain list allows customers to filter their analytics view by the domain their users log into.
- The navigation bar contains links to other Analytics sections and reports.
- The date range picker.
- The users bar chart is a measure of the unique users signing in. By clicking on a single bar (which could be an hour, day, week, or month, depending on the current time view), customers can see a snapshot of all analytics metrics for that period of time, reflected in the cards below.
- This area shows the selection date, unique user count for that period, change in unique user count vs. the previous period from the one selected, and the percent of users that are new vs. returning.
- First Sign-ins shows the breakdown of unique users signing in or registering via Social Login for the first time. The blue number indicates the raw number of new users in that period with the percentage change from the previous period in the top right. The sparkline shows the trend of first user sign-ins, broken down by hour if viewing a single day. When larger periods are selected, the sparkline is based on larger periods. Below the sparkline is a breakdown of providers for first sign-in users for that period.
- Total sign-in events for the period (total of new, returning, and repeat user sign-ins).
- Total share events for the period (non-unique).
- Total referral visits for the period (non-unique). These referrals are not necessarily linked to shares occurring in the same period.
The following reports in the Users section contain data on unique users.
The All report shows all unique users for the selected time range.
- The main bar shows the total unique user count for the selected period, the change in total users from the previous period, and the average number of unique users signing in for the specified period (in this case, on a daily unit).
- Hover over the line chart (callout 2a) to display the unique user count for the hovered-over date (callout 2b).
- Click Export to download a
.csvfile of the analytics data currently in view.
Users — New/Returning
The New/Returning Users report shows a detailed trend of new and returning users. You can toggle the display of a series by clicking on it. For example, if you click on the orange series (Returning Users) it will be removed from the chart.
New Users — A new user is a user who was encountered (through a sign-in or authenticated share) for the first time during the report’s time range across all Relying Parties (RPs) and domains for that app unless filtered by domain.
Returning Users — A returning user is a user who was first encountered (through a sign-in or authenticated share) on any of the specified RPs and domains prior to the beginning of the current report’s date range.
Remember, as this report counts unique users, a single user is counted only once in the totals, but may appear multiple times in the time series. For example, if a user signed in for the very first time and then for two more times in the first day, and then five times in the second day, that user will be counted once for the date range as a new user but appear as one new user and one returning user for day one and one returning user for day two in the chart lines.
Users — Desktop/Mobile
The Desktop/Mobile Users report displays a breakdown of the device users have used to access your app. Like the report above, each series is selectable and can be viewed on the graph or hidden.
Users — Providers
The Providers report displays unique users signing in with their provider of choice. As in the previous reports, each series is selectable and can be viewed on the graph or hidden.
Interactions reports feature a similar user experience, but report on event counts rather than unique users for first sign-ins, total sign-ins, shares, and referrals.
Interactions reports do not have selectable series. Rather, the line is a total and the provider breakdown is shown only for the top providers. Hovering over the provider displays the count of events for that provider just above the chart.
Interactions/First Sign-ins — This report displays users who have signed in to the application via any of the whitelisted domains, for the first time. This is a non-unique count, but behaves similarly to a unique count since the same user ID cannot be counted as a first sign-in more than once. For example, if a user signed in for the very first time and then two more times on June 17th, and then five times on July 8th, that user will contribute 1 to the June 17th count and 0 to the July 8th count.
Interactions/Sign-ins — This report displays all sign-in events for the selected time period.
Interactions/Shares — This report displays a count of all share events completed by social sharing.
Interactions/Referrals — This report displays a count of all referral events (clicks on a share from social sharing) that returned a user to the shared content. The referred users do not need to sign in in order to be counted as a referral, and the referral event may not have occurred in the same period as the original share event.
Providers reports feature a similar user experience as Users reports, but report on event counts rather than unique users for first sign-ins, total sign-ins, shares, and referrals.
In each providers-based report, users can select any of the available providers to hide or display on the chart.
Providers/First Sign-ins — This report displays which identity provider was chosen for users signing in for the first time.
Providers/Sign-ins — This report displays a breakdown of all sign-in events by the identity provider used.
Providers/Shares — This report displays a breakdown of all share events by the identity provider used.
Providers/Referrals — This report displays a breakdown of all referral events by the identity provider used.